Fruit Custard Recipe: How To Make It [Step by Step]
Summer is round the corner and this is a season when my tummy craves the most for refreshing desserts. Is it just me or even you feel the cravings for desserts 🤔? Today I am going to share my fruit custard recipe with my readers. This dessert is easy to make and healthy at the same time.
Refreshing healthy fruits mixed with flavorful custard and condensed milk form an ideal combination to kill the summer heat. In fact fruit custard is most often a preferred dessert choice to be clubbed with weekend brunch, potlucks, family get-together, kitty parties etc.
In this blog post I am going to share with my readers everything they need to know about making a yummy fruit custard. This dessert dish is so simple, it will take my readers no more then fifteen minutes to prepare. I am sure my readers will be delighted and surprised to discover how easy it is to make this dessert.
So without further adiue, let’s dive right in!
What Is Fruit Custard
Fruit custard is most favored summer dessert dish to be eaten in the Indian cuisine. Fruit custard recipe has a thick base which is prepared by combining three things namely, condensed milk, custard powder and sugar.
The above mentioned mixture is kept in the refrigerator for sometime so that it stays chilled. Once the base is ready fruits are added to this mixture.
My personal tip to the readers here, try and add seasonal fruits. Seasonal fruits make the fruit custard even more delicious.Mango is my personal favorite seasonal fruit and whenever I make fruit custard I do add mango to it.
I recommend readers to make custard powder at home for the fruit custard. However if there is a time-crunch readers can buy custard powder which is easily available in the store.
Ingredients For Fruit Custard
Now that I have helped my readers understand what fruit custard actually is, let me share ingredients for fruit custard so that my readers can make this awesome dessert at home.
Mainly four major ingredients go in to making this tasty dessert dish and these ingredients are milk, sugar, custard powder and fresh fruits.
Always make sure that the base of fruit custard is slightly thick. Hence I recommend my readers to use whole milk. Whole milk gives custard a creamy composition which in turn adds delightful taste to this dessert.
Be careful when adding sugar as this dessert dish has fruits. Fruits often add to the sweetness. I usually prefer using less sugar in my custard since I use mango in my custard.
As I mentioned earlier prefer using homemade custard powder for this dish. However, custard powder is very readily available in the market and it comes with a variety of flavors. Most commonly used flavors are mango, vanilla, strawberry, banana, mixed fruit etc.
Here again I would like to mention, please use seasonal fruits as it make fruit custard very delicious. I like to use fresh fruits like grapes, apple, sapota, banana, pomegranate and mango.
Tips For Making Fruit Custard
- Avoid pouring custard powder directly into warm milk, mix custard powder with milk at the room temperature; mix it well until it forms smooth semi liquid custard mixture
- Make sure that there are no lumps formed in the custard.
- While heating the milk make sure it reaches the boiling point. One it reaches, reduce the stove flame, start adding small batches of custard liquid and keep mixing it continuously to avoid any lumps formation.
- Do not pour all custard liquid at once as it may form lumps. Monitor the desired custard thickness.
- It is very important to keep whisking or mixing milk continuously so that there will not be any lumps in custard.
- Finally, avoid adding fruits in hot /warm custard milk. Cut and add your favorite fruits to cold custard milk just before servicing it.
- I usually avoid citrus and sour fruits while making fruit custard.
- If you don’t like fruits or want a variation, you can even make dry fruits custard by replacing fruits with dry fruits.
How To Make Fruit Custard At Home
Please read below my in-depth guide for the recipe of fruit custard. You can also print this recipe for free. This way, you can have my recipe in your record. I hope you like my recipe and that you enjoy your fruit custard with your friends and family 😃.
Fruit Custard Recipe| Custard Fruit Salad Recipe| How To Make Fruit Custard At Home
- 5 Cups Full Fat Milk (doodh)
- 3 Tbsp Custard Powder (of your choice)
- 5 Tbsp Sugar or Sweetener (of your choice) (adjust as per your taste)
- 1/2 Cup Grapes (Angoor)
- 3/4 Cup Apple Chopped & Unpeeled
- 1/2 Cup Sapota (chikoo)
- 1/2 Cup Banana (kela)
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Seeds (anaar)
- 3/4 Cup Mango (chopped aam)
- In a deep non-stick thick bottomed pan pour milk, keep the flame low to medium and keep stirring milk occasionally until the milk turns hot.
- In a bowl, pour ⅓ cup of cold or room temperature milk
- Add the custard powder of your choice into the milk, mix it well and continuously until custard powder is dissolved. Once the semi liquid custard mixture is ready make sure it has no lump formations in it. Rest the custard mixture aside.
- Once milk turns lukewarm add sugar into it, keep stirring until sugar gets dissolved. Adjust the sugar as per your taste.
- Once the milk is hot enough and about to boil, reduce the flame to sim and now pour the prepared custard mixture into it in small batches, keep stirring continuously using the whisk so that the custard mixes well with the milk. Ensure there is no lump formation.
- On low flame continue to stir milk for about 2-3 minutes until the milk starts to thicken.
- Custard should have a thick runny liquid consistency, keep whisking it continuously.
- Now turn off the flame, cool down the mixture completely and whisk it for a minute or so.
- Once the custard milk is completely cooled down; refrigerate it at minimum for an hour.
- Once the custard milk is chilled, cut all fruits, add fruits into custard milk, mix it well and refrigerate it for a few more hours. You can even add fruits just before servicing the custard.
Is Fruit Custard Healthy
Mixed fruit custard is an awesome dessert to beat the summer heat and regain some refreshment. Moreover, this dish needs lest efforts for preparation. It requires minimum ingredients and some amount of cooking.
Be rest assured and enjoy this yummy dessert guilt-free since this dish is healthy too. Let me share some tips to make this dessert in a healthy manner. Fruit custard has sugar and if that is a concern I recommend using stevia which is a plant-based substitute to sugar.
Consider using skimmed milk instead of whole milk. This will reduce the calories.
How To Thicken Fruit Custard
Cornflour present in the custard powder gives thickness and consistency to the fruit custard. It is advised that fruit custard once made must be refrigerated.
Once the custard cools down, it acquires just about right amount of thickness and consistency. Conversely, if readers find their custard to be too thin, I would advise to just add a little cornflour to the custard in order to retain its thickness and consistency.
How Long Can Fruit Custard Last In Fridge
Once the custard is prepared and refrigerated, it can stay in the fridge for no more then 2 to 3 days.
I would advise my readers to cover the custard properly. Use an air-tight box to store the fruit custard and place it in to the fridge.
It is observed that beyond 3 days the custard begins to weep as it undergoes retrogradation.
I am so glad that you discovered my recipe. If you have tried this recipe at home, I want to hear from you. Did you and your friends enjoy it? Please let me know in the comments below or on your favorite social media channel.
Are you hosting any party at home and don’t know what desserts to serve? Well, don’t worry as yummy fruit custard is just what you need. And now you also know how super quick and easy it is to make.
Do check out my other recipes on my blog. You can thank me by sharing my recipes with your friends on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest. Also, subscribe to my recipe newsletter. In this way, you will get notified every time I post new recipes.
Liked What You Read? Also Check These Articles
Latest posts by Passionate Cook (see all)
- Sheera Recipe | Sooji Halwa |How To Make It [Step by Step] - February 16, 2021
- Homemade Pani Puri Recipe: How To Make It [Step by Step] - December 10, 2020
- Kutchi Dabeli Recipe: How To Make It [Step by Step] - October 29, 2020