Today I am going to share the dabeli recipe with my readers. This snack is also referred to as Kutchi dabeli or double roti. This dish is a well known Indian Street Food which originated from the Kutch province of Gujarat. Kutchi dabeli essentially has soft buns of bread loaded with spicy, zesty potato filling and flavorful chutneys.
This dish requires minimal cooking and gets ready in no time. To add taste and flavor, dabeli is clubbed with sweet tamarind chutney, spicy green chutney, spices, pomegranate arils, and sev. Follow my step by step recipe to make this dish easily at home.
I am a total street food junkie, well who isn’t 🤭? While I consistently stick to a strict diet throughout the week, weekends are times when I choose to pamper myself. One way I pamper myself is by feeding on some street food.
Be that as it may, since I stay in the USA, Indian street food options for me are very limited. That is the reason I prefer making street food at my home.
In this blog post, I will share with my readers everything they need to know about Kutchi dabeli recipe. Moreover, I will guide my readers with detailed steps and images so that my readers could make this amazing snack and enjoy it with their friends and family.
So without any further adieu, let’s get started!
WHAT IS DABELI MADE OF
Dabeli is an Indian equivalent of western burgers. It is prevalently sold in the city of Gujarat. Pav buns are loaded with an appetizing hot and sweet potato blend finished off with onions, pomegranate, lehsun Chutney, and Sev.
Indian burger buns or supper rolls are first slathered with two sorts of sauces or chutneys. The sweet chutney is made specifically from dates and tamarind. The spicy chutney is made out of dry red chili and garlic.
Once the buns are ready, spicy potato filling is filled inside them and the buns are tinseled with sev (seared gram flour vermicelli) and pomegranate seeds. The crunchiness in Dabeli originates from the broiled masala peanuts, pomegranate seeds, and fine sev.
INGREDIENTS FOR DABELI RECIPE
Now that I have helped my readers understand what Kutchi dabeli is, let me share ingredients for dabeli so that my readers can make this awesome snack at home.
Mainly four major ingredients are needed to prepare tasty dabeli at home and these ingredients are listed as below.
Indian Burger Buns (Pav)
I always prefer making buns at home, since it is a healthy option available. While baking buns, I ensure that I use whole wheat.
However, in case we are at a time crunch here, I recommend getting fresh buns from a local bakery. While purchasing the buns, ensure that it is new.
Boiled potatoes (aloo) are needed to prepare a tasty potato filling. This mixture is absolutely tasty and high on flavor!
To make the potato filling would require a masala. Prepare this masala with ghee, onion, chili powder, turmeric powder, dabeli masala, water, mashed potatoes, tamarind chutney, and salt.
Masala peanuts add a sort of crunchiness and rustic flavor to dabeli. To make masala peanuts, a blended handful of peanuts with vegetable oil, salt, and chili powder.
Afterward, add these masala peanuts to the spicy mashed potatoes to prepare a filling. This filling is supposed to be added to the middle of the buns.
Dabeli masala is one of the main ingredients. It gives mashed potatoes filling a distinctive taste. I have explained further how to make dabeli masala easily at home.
I recommend my readers to make this masala at home since it is super easy. However, if there is a time crunch then I would recommend buying dabeli masala from a local Indian grocery store. Readymade dabeli masala is also easily available.
HOW TO MAKE DABELI RECIPE [PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD]
Please read below my in-depth recipe guide for Kutchi dabeli. You can also print this recipe free. In this way, you can have my recipe in your record. I really hope you like my recipe and that you enjoy my recipe with your friends and family
Kutchi Dabeli Recipe | Double Roti Recipe | Double Roti Recipe | How To Make Dabeli At Home
Ingredients for Dabeli stuffing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Dabeli Masala
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chutney
- 1/4 cup Water (or as required)
- 1 1/2 cup Potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- Salt (as per your taste)
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp Fresh Pomegranate
Ingredients for Dabeli serving
- 4 ladi Pav
- 4 tbsp Sweet Chutney
- 4 tbsp Chilli Garlic Chutney
- 5 tbsp Onions (finely chopped)
- 5 tbsp Masala Peanuts (roasted spiced peanuts)
- 6 tbsp Nylon Sev
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate (for garnishing)
- 2 tbsp Butter
Preparation for Dabeli
- For dabeli you can use a store-bought or homemade dabeli masala. Nowadays you can easily find dabeli masala in your nearby grocery stores. I have also added a homemade dabeli masala recipe for your reference, which can prepare in a larger quantity and store it for later use.
- In a small bowl combine sweet chutney, dabeli masala, and 2 tbsp of water. Combine all ingredients of dabeli masala.
- In a non-stick saute pan heat 2 tbsp oil on medium-low flame. Add prepared dabeli masala, stir it continuously for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add boil mashed potatoes and salt, mix them well. Add a little bit of water and mix everything well. Let the mixture cook on a medium flame for 3 -4 minutes while stirring it continuously.
- Turn the flame off, transfer dabeli mixture to a plate, sprinkle desiccated coconut, chopped coriander, and some fresh pomegranate. Keep the mixture aside.
Method of preparation for Dabeli
- Take a pav, slit it through center but ensure they are still intact at its remaining two ends
- Evenly spread one teaspoon of lehsun chutney / chilli garlic chutney on one inner side versus the sweet chutney on the other inner side.
- Now, stuff dabeli mixture which we have prepared, top it with onions, masala peanuts and some nylon sev. Repeat this process with other pav as well.
- Heat a griddle or tava on medium low flame, add butter, toast dabeli pav from both sides until it is hot enough.
- Dabeli is ready for servicing.
- For garnishing, roll the dabeli in nylon sev. Top it with some masala peanuts and pomegranate.
HOMEMADE DABELI MASALA RECIPE
Whenever I make dabeli at home, I prefer using homemade dabeli masala, since I find it more aromatic and flavorful. Follow my recipe to know how super easy it is to make the dabeli masala.
INGREDIENTS FOR DABELI MASALA
- 8 dried red chilli (Kashmiri or Bedagi)
- 3 ½ tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 tsp fennel seeds (saumph)
- 4 tbsp coriander seeds (sukha dhaniya)
- 4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2-inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 4 bay leaves (tej patta)
- 5- 6 cloves (laung)
- 3 green cardamom (hari elaichi)
- 4-star anise (chakri phool)
- 2 tsp black peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup desiccated coconut powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Two teaspoon black salt (kala namak)
PREPARATION FOR DABELI MASALA
In a pan dry-roast cinnamon, star anise, black and green cardamoms, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves, fennel seeds, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, and red chilies in a non-stick pan on medium-low flame for 2-3 until it turns aromatic.
Now in the same pan add sesame seeds and desiccated coconut, lightly roast this mixture. Stir the spices continuously and ensure to roast the ingredients on a medium to low flame to keep the mixture from getting burnt.
Now, transfer all the roasted spice mixture to a plate and allow it to cool. Once the mixture cools down, transfer it to a blender jar. Grind the roasted mixture along with chili powder and salt to form a smooth powder.
Transfer the finished powder into a deep bowl, add oil and sugar. Now mix the powder very well. One can even add sugar to the mixture while grinding if needed.
Dabeli masala is now ready, one can store excess dabeli masala in an air-tight container and use it as required.
I am so glad that you discovered my recipe. Moreover, if you have tried this recipe at home, I want to hear from you. Did you and your friends enjoy it? Please let me know in the comments or find me on your favorite social media channel.
Are you hosting any party at home and don’t know what snack to serve your guests? Well, give yummy dabeli a shot. It will surely save your day. And now you also know how super easy it is to make it.
Do check out other recipes on my blog. You can thank me by sharing my recipes with your friends on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest. Also, subscribe to my recipe newsletter. In this way, you will get notified every time I post new recipes.
Latest posts by Passionate Cook (see all)
- Toor Dal Khichdi Recipe: Easy Step By Step Guide - June 22, 2021
- How To Make Gobi Paratha: The EASIEST Recipe Ever In 2021! - June 8, 2021
- Kanda Poha Recipe: With 2 POPULAR Varieties | A Definitive Guide - May 28, 2021