Today, I am going to share chilli paneer recipe with my readers. Chilli paneer is a very popular Indo-Chinese dish which can be eaten either dry or with gravy. It is served either as an appetizer or as a main course dish in the restaurants.
Chilli paneer tastes simply amazing when had with hakka noodles, chow mein, fried rice or schezwan fried rice. It can also be had with Indian flat bread .i.e. either tandoori roti or naan.
Paneer, otherwise also known as cottage cheese is coated with corn flour and cooked with a combination of spicy, tangy soy and chilli sauce to form this flavorful chilli paneer recipe.
Trust me readers, this dish is easy to cook and gets ready in no time. In this blog post, I would share everything my readers need to know about making a yummy chilli paneer. Moreover, I will show my readers how to make this dish in a healthy way so my readers can relish this dish gilt free 😉.
So without any further adieu, let’s dive in!
What Is Chilli Paneer
Before I share my quick recipe for paneer chilli, I want my readers to know some background of this dish.
Chilli paneer is a very popular dish served in Indo-Chinese cuisine. I am originally from Mumbai city and Indo-Chinese is wildly popular in my hometown.
I have a confession to make, growing up I had always considered Indo-Chinese to be an authentic Chinese cuisine. It is only after I came to the US and dined in a Chinese restaurant in Dallas, did I realize an array of difference between an authentic Chinese and an Indo-Chinese cuisine.
Many people consider paneer chilli to be the vegetarian version of chilli chicken. I am a vegetarian but I surely don’t miss chicken whenever I have chilli paneer either with rice or roti.
Tips For Chilli Paneer Recipe
Now that I have helped my readers know what paneer chilli actually is, let me share some of my tips with readers on how to make an awesome chilli paneer at home.
Please follow my easy yet detailed preparation tips mentioned below to get you started with cooking yummy chilli paneer.
- In chilli paneer recipe, corn flour is used as a thickener, over usage of corn flour will make gravy too thick and will adversely change the taste of this dish.
- Ensure to use corn flour in the correct proportion with other ingredients in order to make a dry versus gravy paneer chilli.
- If making a gravy version of chilli paneer , one needs to increase the portion of corn flour; also consider increasing the proportion of other sauces and garlic as well.
- Before using corn flour for any dish preparation, always mix corn flour in water for desired results.
- Do not over saute vegetables, keep vegetables crunchy.
- One can either deep fry corn flour coated paneer or to make it healthier one can shallow fry, air fry or even bake the corn flour coated paneer. If deep frying, fry it on medium high flame as frying on low flame will make paneer chewy.
- If one wants to keep the recipe more healthier, one can even avoid any refined flours such as all purpose flour (maida) and corn flour. Just shallow fry or air fry paneer using basic ingredients like chilli powder, salt and pepper powder.
- I always prepare any of the Indo-Chinese recipes on a high flame for smoky taste.
Chilli Paneer Recipe Preparation [Image Carousel]
Please review the image carousel below for an easy step-by-step guide on cooking yummy paneer chilli at home with simple ingredients .
For my detailed recipe please read below my in-depth printable recipe card.
How To Make Chilli Panner-Dry [Printable Recipe Card]
Please read below my in-depth guide for chilli paneer recipe. You can also print this recipe free. In this way, you can have my recipe in your record. I hope you like my recipe and that you enjoy my recipe with your friends and family.
Chilli Paneer Recipe | Paneer Chilli Recipe | How To Make Chilli Paneer
Ingredients For Chilli Paneer
- 200 gram Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) (chopped into medium size cubes)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic (lahsun) (fine chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (adrak) (fine chopped)
- 2 piece Green Chillies (hari mirch) (slit)
- 1 piece Onion (small cubes) (layers separated) (pyaaj)
- 1/3 cup Spring Onions (fine chopped) (green and white)
- 1/2 cup Bell Pepper Cubes (capsicum)
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce (optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp Corn Flour
- 6 tbsp Water
Ingredients For Preparing Batter To Fry Paneer
- 1/4 cup Corn Flour
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour (maida)
- 1/2 tbsp Black Pepper Powder (kali mirch)
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup Water
- Oil for deep frying
Preparation For Frying Paneer
- Firstly, we will prepare a batter for the frying paneer. In a bowl take corn flour, now add all purpose flour, red chilli powder, salt and pepper powder. Mix everything well.
- Add a teaspoon of soy sauce and half cup of water, whisk it to create a consistent batter. Batter shouldn’t be too thick or too thin or runny.
- Add paneer cubes to the batter, mix it well to ensure paneer gets coated well with the batter. Do it carefully to ensure paneer doesn’t break.
- Now, heat enough oil into a frying pan / kadai, slowly and carefully drop coated paneer in the hot oil. On a medium flame fry the paneer until it turns golden brown. Frying paneer on low flame will make paneer soggy as it will absorb too much oil.
- Once paneer turns golden brown from all sides and frying is done, with the help of skimmer drain the excess oil and paneer in a plate on an absorbent paper. Absorbent paper will soak up excess oil.
Method Of Preparing Chilli Paneer
- Heat oil in a wok, keep flame high throughout making paneer chilli. High flame is crucial in any Indo-Chinese dish preparation to maintain food texture.
- In a wok now add finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Add chopped green chillies, sautee everything well for a few seconds.
- Add spring onions and onions cubes; mix it well.
- Add bell pepper cubes, sautee everything well for less for a few seconds.
- Add red chilli sauce, soy sauce and vinegar. If you would like, you can even add a little bit of red chilli paste at this stage. Use the red chili paste either bought from the store or make it at home by soaking dry red kashmiri chillies in hot water and then grinding it. Mix everything well and cook for a few seconds.
- Add cornflour mixture which will give restaurants style glossy look and thickness to the gravy.
- You can prepare a cornflour mixture by mixing 1 teaspoon of cornflour in 4 teaspoon of water, add this cornflour mixture. Stir everything well.
- If you are making chilli paneer gravy then you need to increase the portion of corn flour. In that case, you should also increase the proportion of other sauces and garlic as well.
- Now in a fried paneer, mix everything well and saute it for a minute or so.
- Chilli paneer is ready, garnish it with spring onions and serve it hot.
Is Chilli Paneer Keto Friendly
Chilli paneer recipe can be made in a keto friendly manner. Be rest assured and enjoy this yummy dish guilt-free. Let me share some valuable tips that will make this dish healthy and keto friendly.
While cooking this dish, ditch the corn flour and do not deep fry the paneer instead shallow fry or air fry the paneer. One can even consider baking the paneer in order to ditch oil usage completely.
Consider replacing the tomato puree with a salsa sauce or a sriracha sauce. In order to make the gravy consider adding coconut milk to the recipe. For sauces used in this recipe consider using a low sodium soy sauce and chilli sauce that does not have any added sugar.
Is Paneer Good For Weight Loss
Absolutely yes! Let me explain my readers how. Paneer is a source of good fat and contains low carbohydrate. Beside, paneer is a rich source of protien and calcium.
Moreover, for readers who are weight conscious, I would recommend few tips of making paneer chilli recipe in a healthy manner. Firstly, do not deep-fry the paneer instead toss it over cooking pan using pure ghee (purified butter).
Also skip the use of MSG, corn flour and refined oil for making paneer chilli.
What To Eat With Paneer Chilli
Paneer chilli is often either served as an appetizers/starter item or as a main course dish. If it is made dry then it is good to be served as an appetizer. Generally when chilli paneer is made with gravy it is served as a main course dish.
If someone has guests coming over, it is best to serve the guests some tasty paneer chilli. This dish goes well with many other main course dishes. Following are some dishes that complement well with the paneer chilli.
- Fried Rice: This is a popular Indo-Chinese dish made of fried rice, fresh mixed vegetables and spicy sauces. It is insanely popular in India.
- Simple Pulao: A simple pulao goes well with almost any type of curries or gravies. Plain pulao or sada pulao is very easy & flavorful meal to be made either in a pressure cooker or an instant-pot.
- Hakka Noddles: Hakka noodles is a popular dish in Indo-Chinese cuisine. It basically is made of stir-fried noodles, Chinese sauces and vegetables. It is a hugely popular Indian street food too and commonly called chow mein in northern part of India.
- Simple White Rice: Many people in India enjoy eating white rice with gravy of paneer chilli. To be honest it surprised me untill I tried it myself. This combination does taste good and is absolutely worth a try.
I am so glad that you discovered my recipe. If you have tried this recipe at home, I want to hear from you. Did you and your friends enjoy it? Please let me know in the comments or on your favorite social media channel.
Are craving some Indo-Chinese food or hosting a party at home and don’t know what to cook? Well, don’t worry as my chilli paneer recipe will surely save your day. And now you also know that it is super easy to make.
Do check out my other recipes on my blog. You can thank me by sharing my recipes with your friends on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest. Also, subscribe to my recipe newsletter. In this way, you will get notified every time I post new recipes.
Latest posts by Passionate Cook (see all)
- Toor Dal Khichdi Recipe: Easy Step By Step Guide - June 22, 2021
- How To Make Gobi Paratha: The EASIEST Recipe Ever In 2021! - June 8, 2021
- Kanda Poha Recipe: With 2 POPULAR Varieties | A Definitive Guide - May 28, 2021